Basketball Rules and Regulations
Saline County Christian Home Education Association
Basketball Rules & Regulations
(This document pertains to basketball only.)
(Voted into use on 12/22/2013 Updated on 8/24/2020)
- The SCCHEA Basketball Committee shall include: SCCHEA Athletic Director, Assistant Athletic Director of Basketball, Basketball Secretary, Basketball Treasurer, Basketball Concessions Director, Basketball Communications/Calendar Director, Basketball Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches, and SCCHEA President. NOTE: A Committee member represents 1 vote on the Basketball Committee even if they hold multiple positions. Head Coaches may designate additional Assistant Coaches, but only 1 Assistant Coach from each team can vote.
- Membership in SCCHEA must precede participation on any organized SCCHEA basketball team.
- All coaches, players, officials, and spectators shall be treated with respect and courtesy through actions, words, and attitudes.
- No sarcastic, profane, taunting, or unkind remarks shall be tolerated.
- No intentional and/or unnecessary roughness during practice or games shall be tolerated.
- Head Coach must be an adult who is 21 years of age or older.
- Head Coach must be at all practices and games, or must provide an adult replacement who is 21 years of age or older when he/she is not available.
- Players are expected to attend all practices and games unless circumstances dictate otherwise.
- Whether playing at home or playing at opponent’s facilities, all property shall be treated with respect at all times.
- Grievances of any kind shall be reported to the Athletic Director and the Assistant Athletic Director of Basketball.
- If a student tries out and is not placed on a team, all registration fees shall be returned.
- Any player may withdraw with full refund of registration fees through the date prior to the first game played by the team on whose roster the player was placed. The only refund issued following this date will be as follows:
- Players on the roster of any team scheduled for less than ten (10) games during regular season play shall receive a refund at the end of the season equal to ten (10), minus the number of games played, multiplied by $5.00.
- A Disciplinary Committee, whose members shall include the Athletic Director and/or the Assistant Athletic Director of Basketball and all Head Coaches, Secretary and Treasurer of Basketball shall be responsible for the enforcement of the SCCHEA Basketball Rules and Regulations.
- Any coach, assistant coach, Athletic Director, Assistant Athletic Director of Basketball, or SCCHEA President who uses profanity or becomes disruptive, inappropriate, and/or combative shall be removed from the facility for the remainder of the day. The disciplinary action taken shall be as follows:
- 1st offense = 3-game suspension from coaching privileges and review before the SCCHEA Basketball Committee
- 2nd offense = Suspension from coaching privileges for theremainder of the current season and the next full season
- Any player who fights, taunts, or uses profanity shall be immediately removed from the facility for the remainder of that activity. Fighting or use of profanity shall also result in a one (1) game suspension. Excessive behavior may result in a heavier penalty.
- All parents and spectators are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful and courteous manner. Inappropriate behavior (including but not limited to fighting, taunting, and the use of profanity) shall be addressed by the Athletic Director and/or the Assistant Athletic Director of Basketball. The disciplinary action shall be as follows:
- 1st offense = Warning
- 2nd offense = Removal from the facility for the remainder of the day
- 3rd offense = Removal from the facility for the remainder of the day, as well as suspension from basketball activities for the remainder of the season
- A consistently negative attitude displayed by a player shall be addressed by the coach with the player’s parents. If the situation is still not resolved, then a meeting shall be scheduled with the Athletic Director, coach, parents, and player to discuss a resolution to the problem.
- Any player, coach, or spectator ejected from a game shall be suspended from the next game as well. Any player, coach, or spectator ejected from two games in a season shall be suspended for the remainder of the season, including all tournament games.
- If a player, coach, or spectator receives a technical foul or penalty for unsportsmanlike behavior, the disciplinary action will be as follows:
- 1st offense = Warning2nd
- offense = Removal from the facility for the remainder of the day as well as suspension from the next game
- 3rd offense = Removal from the facility for the remainder of the day as well as suspension from basketball activities for the remainder of the season, including all tournament games
- Enforcement of the SCCHEA Basketball Rules and Regulations shall be the responsibility of the SCCHEA Basketball Committee. At least 50% of the committee shall be present, and must include the Athletic Director and/or the Assistant Athletic Director of Basketball.
Eligibility rules conform to the standards adopted by the following organizations:
1. Arkansas State Home School Basketball Tournament
2. National Christian Homeschool Basketball Championship
SCCHEA teams are competitive, and participants may not receive equal amounts of playing time, particularly on the junior and senior high levels. Our desire is for all players to further develop their skills and contribute to their teams, but sole discretion is given to the coach(es) as to the amount of individual playing time each player receives in order to make the team most competitive.
- Player’s education must be directed by parent, legal guardian, or legally responsible person (in cases of foster care or family hardship).
- Player must be homeschooled continuously from October 1st of the current school year through March of the same school year.
- At least 51% of player’s education must be taught:
1. At home by the player’s parents, grandparents, and/or legal guardian
2. At home by older sibling of at least 18 years of age
3. In a home environment by another homeschool parent or tutor
- Player may be enrolled in co-ops, private schools, and/or public schools on a part-time basis, provided that at least 51% of his/her education is derived from the above listed sources.
Clarification of “51%”: A normal course load for a full-time student is six (6) core courses. Therefore, if a player is taking more than three (3) courses at a private, vocational, or college institution, he/she is not considered 51% homeschooled.
- Player may not be enrolled in enough college-level courses to be deemed a full-time student.
- A copy of each player’s “Notice of Intent to Home School” shall be submitted at the time of registration. This may be required by an opposing team in order to verify eligibility.
- Each player must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA (on a 4-point scale) during the current active season, with the active season defined as October 1 of the current school year through March 31 of the same school year.
- Any player who transfers from a public school, Christian/private school, or another homeschool team because of disciplinary reasons must wait one (1) year before he/she is eligible to participate in SCCHEA basketball. All other transfer players are eligible immediately.
Note: An additional condition contained in the SCCHEA By-Laws is that membership will not be extended to anyone who has previously been expelled from public or private school.
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
- Player must live at home with parent, legal guardian, or legally responsible person.
- Married students shall not be allowed to play on SCCHEA basketball teams.
- Player cannot have graduated or participated in a graduation ceremony.
- If player is not a Saline County Resident, player must submit an Exemption Application to the SCCHEA Basketball Committee by September 15 for consideration. Each exemption must be approved by the majority of the SCCHEA Basketball Committee. Approval will be on a case by case basis Players that were on a SCCHEA team the preceding year are not required to re-submit exemptions.
- Player must live within a 100-mile radius of his/her team’s practice facility.
SCCHEA basketball teams are gender specific. Girls may not play on a boys’ team, and boys may not play on a girls’ team.
- Players are required to register for the team that corresponds to their age division.
- Age divisions are 10u, 12u, 14u, 16u, and 18u. Eligibility is determined by the player’s age on September 1 of the current school year. For example:
|Must Turn 11 years old before Sept 1st||Must Turn 13 years old before Sept 1st||Must Turn 15 years old before Sept 1st||Must Turn 17 years old before Sept 1st|
|Cannot turn 11 years old before Sept 1st||
Cannot turn 13 years old before Sept 1st
|Cannot turn 15 years old before Sept 1st||Cannot turn 17 years old before Sept 1st||Cannot turn 19 years old before Sept 1st|
- Rosters shall be formed from registrations received by September 15.
- No team is required to accept more than ten (10) players. Coaches of teams exceeding ten (10) registrations may either:
1. Place all registered players on the roster
2. Hold try-outs for placement on the roster
- Registrations for mid-season additions to team rosters shall be accepted January 1-15.
Note: Basketball registration fees for players enrolling between January 1 and January 15 shall not be prorated. Registration fee shall be that of a player registering before September 1.
- Any player wishing to be placed on the roster of a team above his/her age division shall indicate this desire on the SCCHEA Basketball Registration form. Placement on the roster of a team in a higher age division is by invitation only at the sole discretion of that team’s coach. The following options are available to any player to whom no invitation is issued:
1. Accept placement on the roster of the team for which he/she is age-eligible
Note: Coach of that team retains the options noted above when the number of registrations exceeds ten (10).
2. Refuse placement on the roster of the team for which he/she is age-eligible
Note: Registration fees shall be refunded in full.
- A player may be placed on both his/her age-eligible team roster and the roster of a higher age division only if the higher age division has fewer than eight (8) players.
Athletes’ Code of Conduct:
By joining a SCCHEA Warriors basketball team, I agree to adhere to the following:
1. I will demonstrate the character quality of attentiveness by listening to the instructions of my coaches.
2. I will demonstrate the character quality of faithfulness by attending all practices and games.
3. I will demonstrate the character quality of orderliness by adhering to the dress code. Dress should always be modest and non-offensive, and includes the following guidelines:
- Maintain a clean-cut appearance during the season
- No midriff, halter, or spaghetti-strap tops
- No fish net shirts
- Spandex shorts worn only under athletic shorts
- No sagging pants or shorts
- Shorts should be to a length within 2 inches above the knee
- No jewelry
- Rubber soled shoes must be worn at all practices and games
4. I will maintain a positive, teachable attitude regardless of the amount of playing time I receive, how fair the officiating is or is not, and whether we win or lose.
5. I will demonstrate the character quality of self-control by not participating in the use of profane language, alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
6. I will keep my focus on team activities and avoid pairing off with a person of the opposite sex during trips, practices, and games.
7. I will demonstrate the character quality of discipline by following the rules established by my team.
Parents’ and players’ signatures on any SCCHEA Basketball Registration Form indicates acceptance of and agreement to abide by all the regulations listed in the SCCHEA Basketball Rules & Regulations.